"By small and simple things, great {marriages} are brought to pass!
If an apple a day can keep the doctor away, then a kind deed a day will give you a healthier and happier marriage. Now, that IS a great thing!

Monday, March 22, 2010

Marriage Fitness!

We just ate a yummy treat! A shake made of peppermint ice cream and thin mint girl scout cookies! Zach can concoct some seriously great treats!
Zach and I have been reading this book I picked up from the library a few weeks ago and I really like the philosophy! It is called MARRIAGE FITNESS 4 Steps to Building & Maintaining Phenomenal Love written by Mort Fertel. I had never heard of him but the book was recommended by two Authors I trust; John Gray, Ph.D. Author of Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus and Stephen R. Covey, author The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.
I wanted to post about it so I looked to see what was online. You should check out their website!
So tonight we were reading about how to be a good parent in Marriage Fitness and Mr. Fertel quotes Ralph Waldo Emerson by saying "Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear a word you're saying." And then he continues, "Whatever you want your children to achieve, you first have to achieve yourself. And the first step to achieving a phenomenal marriage is to prioritize your spouse higher than anything in the world-including your children."
'Almost every evening my wife and I and our four children spend time together. The kids love this part of the day. But once a week, the babysitter arrives at 7:00 p.m. and my wife and I leave for the evening. The kids sometimes cry, but we leave anyway. They want to be with us every night, but they also want to eat candy for dinner. It's our job to know what's best for them. And what's best for them is for us to spend one night each week alone."
Zach and I were inspired by this!
The apple for the day is: talk to your spouse, decide on one way you could show your children you prioritize your marriage. Is it religious date night or talking for 15 minutes (clocked by the timer) on the couch or at the dinner table while the kids play?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...