"By small and simple things, great {marriages} are brought to pass!
If an apple a day can keep the doctor away, then a kind deed a day will give you a healthier and happier marriage. Now, that IS a great thing!

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Thirty years from now.

Today I started to read an article and stopped about one paragraph into her point because I just hated what she was saying!  She was talking about "why parents are so invested in their kids these days".

To prove my point, I will quote part.

"..if the last 30 years have taught us anything, it's that marriages come and go. ...Our bond with our kids is not just an important relationship for us, it's THE important relationship because it might be the only one that lasts."

I may have thrown up a little.

In my opinion, she's interpreting the last thirty years all wrong. We should be learning that the focus has been in the wrong place and that is why "marriages come and go" and the relationships with our kids are "the only one(s) that last".

Good grief.

I have been feeling a little lame when it comes to my ideas for Love Month and Valentines Day. I admit, a lot of my ideas are not exactly original or creative and so I haven't really wanted to post.

Then I read this article. I am so convinced that the little things, done consistently, will be what makes our marriages awesome.  It isn't the big dinner and dancing date on Valentines Day that is going to make everyday pleasant for the next year until you go out again. It's the little "apples" everyday that make a healthy marriage that lasts.

So, give your spouse a smile, a hug and a kiss when you see them next. Tell them you're glad they are yours. Call them for the one reason of asking them out on a date and telling them you have everything from the babysitter to the activity arranged. Hide love notes in places they will find them soon and later. Take a selfie and send a flirty text or just send the text. Bring them a treat home just because. Put fancy glasses on the table just because. Invite them to the pantry for a make out session. Hold their hand at the table or in the car. Make a list of your top ten favorite things about them. Watch a chick flic. Make cookies together.  Make things right if they're wrong. Ask them how things are going and then listen. -if they don't just talk, say, "tell me about___" -hopefully that'll get them talking.  List your favorite dates you've been on together and repeat some or list some things you'd like to do and schedule them.  End the day with prayer and thank The Lord for your spouse and be specific when listing why.

"First comes love.  Then comes marriage. Then comes the baby in the baby carriage." Keep things in perspective.

Marriage is worth working at. I really, truly believe that. Your children will thank you for putting your marriage first.  Thirty years from now, you're family will reap the benefits of your focus on THE most important relationship. 

2 comments:

Tami said...

Thank you for inspiring me ! Whether it be 30 yrs, 3 yrs or 3 months we all need reminders of how to keep love fresh

kate said...

I have my secret plan in place...but thank you for the reminder to go with the flow if it doesn't work out quite like I've planned. :) You're the best Becca, I appreciate every single post.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...