"By small and simple things, great {marriages} are brought to pass!
If an apple a day can keep the doctor away, then a kind deed a day will give you a healthier and happier marriage. Now, that IS a great thing!

Monday, March 30, 2015

oh, oxygen. how i love thee.

Zach and I took a quick trip about a month ago and traveled by airplane. Man, it was good to get away!  We did take baby Jakey but he was pretty easy. ;)

Before takeoff the flight attendants went over safety. Well this time I listened a little differently because I was thinking about how I would take care of Jakey if something really did go wrong. 

The principle behind making sure you take care of your oxygen needs first was something I needed to be reminded of. 

You see, life with five is more complicated than Zach or I ever imagined. It's true. We've been a bit shocked.  We do laugh a lot though...mostly because we think the joke is us. Nevertheless, we laugh. ;)

It's hard to fit in time for the things that help me breathe. Really hard. 

Even though it's hard, it's not impossible and must be done. I can't adequately care for my family for very long if I don't do it. I also can't add much positive fuel to my marriage if I'm running on empty. 

The relationship that Zach and I have is essentially the breath of the family. It's crucial we make time for things that strengthen our relationship. 

"Great marriages produce great parents"-Stephen R. Covey 

I saw a phrase the other day on my IG from marriage 365 that said, "a divorce lawyer costs way more than a babysitter! Go on a date!" #truth

I needed that reminder as well. 

The apples for today's post:
Take care of yourself spiritually and physically and don't feel bad about it.

THEN, take care of your marriage.

If your kids don't like you going on dates then start out short and consistent.  They need to know you need time for the two of you. It's for the greater good.  #justdoit

So aside from datenight, what are some things that give your relationship breath? How about you? What do you do for yourself that is a difference maker?

Three cheers for oxygen. 

Becca :)

2 comments:

kate said...

This is spot on. I'm planning a date for this Friday. As always, thank you for doing this, Becca!

kate said...

This is spot on. I'm planning a date for this Friday. As always, thank you for doing this, Becca!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...